ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #1031
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

626-2
Mattel- Hot Wheels Screen TIme: U.S.S. Vengeance.

I unapologetically love the JJ Adrams Star Trek movies: they are well produced, action filled SCI-Fi romps that are fully responsible for me getting into Star Trek at a very late age. That said, I recognize issues with the series, including the very egregious Wrath of Khan rip off that was Into Darkness, but I think I could have fixed it with one change: Not making Cumberbatch take the role of Kahn but rather a different member of Kahn’s crew. Sure some scenes would have been needed to be re-written, or removed entirely (including Spock yelling KAHN!), but it would have saved the film from being a simple re-telling while allowing it to stand on its own merit. And who thought casting Cumberbatch (who is really fun in this movie), a white British fella, was a good idea to play a character that was originated by Ricardo Montalban, an actor of Latin descent? I mean, I understand that this is a new universe given the events of the 1st movie changing the timeline, but could Nero's actions actually change the race of another character? Also, In an industry literally falling over themselves to ensure diversity in modern movies, why take away a beloved character played by a POC? Besides the only thing that made this character Kahn was his name, given that none of his other mannerisms or affectations are present in this new version. Ah well, maybe they felt they needed the old Kahn bump to pander to the Star Trek crowd?

Pros: Hot Wheels really are incredible. Tiny detailed little versions of our favorite vehicles and all for a buck or two. I particularly love the Screen Time series for the obvious reasons and hope they continue the series. Overall the USS Vengeance is a perfect little addition to my growing Star Trek shelf.

Cons: Not a thing; can’t go wrong for a buck.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #1032
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

627-2
Disney Toybox- Marvel: Ghost Spider

I may be in the minority here, but I do not like the final name they came up for Spider Gwen. I suppose they needed to settle on something if she was going to remain in the universe, but Ghost is just so generic and doesn’t fit well with “Spider”. Also, why Ghost? What does that have to do with anything with her as a character or a “spider” hero? That said, I don’t have a better solution and there may be a really good reason for the name so who am I to say?

Pros: Great looking sculpt with the great, cartoonish Infinity aesthetic, standard articulation and an alternative unmasked head sculpt and hood.

Cons: The articulation for a spider character, even on an infinity figure, should really be better. Also I dislike that huge web accessory.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #1033
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

628-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Shatterstar

The 90’s were a wild time for Marvel Comics and not many characters exemplify that quite like Shatterstar. I suppose it also has a lot to do with the rather divisive Liefeld style that people either love or hate and I’m mixed on the subject. On one hand his art style is ridiculous, but on the other had I kind of like the overall look of his original characters and he should be given some credit for fashioning this unique look. Lucky for toy collectors, Hasbro toy sculptors have the ability to take the main design elements from a creator's work to keep the unique style, but create a figure that fits within the shared look of the Marvel Legends aesthetic. Hence why I really love the 90’s look on some figures given that they don’t look as ridiculous as they did on some of those infamous comic panels that we all went crazy over back in the day.

Pros: Not sure what else to say except that Shatterstar is an amazing figure and underrated for the year that he was released. I mean, just look at him: Really fantastic representation of the 90’s character with pouches, one half of a shoulder pad and little cape, but without the ridiculous proportions, great articulation for fun fighting poses, and excellent accessories, including his senseless duel bladed, studded handle sword.

Cons: I think this might be an issue with white plastic figures, but the joints feel a bit gummy and it makes me wonder how long they will last.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #1034
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

629-2
Hasbro- Overwatch Ultimates: Lucio

I mentioned it back in my Venkman review, but Hasbro can really produce some amazing figures when they want to. And I’m not talking about the 14th version of Marvel Legends Ironman, but rather other franchises that might require a bit more care to get off the ground. They did it with the Sigma Six line all those years ago, and more recently with the Ghostbusters Plasma series, but also with the Overwatch line. Again, I’m not even a fan of the game, but was sucked in with the designs and really impressed with the figure in hand. It helps a little that I have not paid full price on one of these figures yet, but I would suspect I’d like them just the same at full price. I’m not sure what is next for Hasbro down the line and given that I’m slowly wearing thin on Marvel Legends and Black Series it’s not clear what I’ll be picking up next, but if Overwatch is any indication what they can do when they have to try, might be worth picking up.

Pros: Lucio is a bit of a shelf warmer in my area (still) and I think it’s a bit of a shame given that he (yes he, I thought he was a she until I took a closer look and noticed facial hair) is a very unique, but cool looking figure. The sculpt is great from top to bottom, the articulation is surprisingly good for how bulky he is, and the accessories, including swappable hands and BASS canon are great. I also kind of love the 90’s vibe he has with baggy pants and inline (laser) skates. Seriously one of my favorite Overwatch figures yet and highly recommended if you can find him on sale.

Cons: While I love the energy effects that he comes with, they interfere with each other while attached and they don’t really stay on very well.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #1035
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

630-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Sigma Six: Wingblade Snake Eyes

I’ve not been shy about my love for the GI Joe Sigma Six line, but have always recognized that while they are awesome, they do have a rather distinct issue which is the rather limited articulation scheme. Limited might actually be a bit harsh considering it was above average for the time, but given the size class and what we eventually got in the various Marvel Legends/Classified lines, it really feels like we could have got more. Well Hasbro must have felt the same way because Wingblade Snake Eyes here goes above and beyond with double jointed elbow and knees as well as ankle tilts. It’s just a shame that was only released after people moved on from the line on a figure that, aside from the improved mould, isn’t all that great.

Pros: Wingblade Snake Eyes has an exceptional new mould with an improved articulation scheme featuring double jointed elbows and knees as well as ankle tilts. Accessory wise he’s packed with two swords, one sheath, an interesting looking mini gun knife weapon and of course a WINGBLADE backpack with rotating blades and a rear bomb cavity with 2 bombs: fun stuff!

Cons: Sigma Six releases were very Snake Eyes heavy and I feel this pack-in was a bit odd for the character. Perhaps it would have been better suited for a Cobra Trooper? Additionally the pack uses very flimsy rubber connection ports and will not stay pegged in and I’m not sure why they didn’t just give him a gun instead of that odd looking minigun/knife weapon.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #1036
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #1037
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

631-2
DC Collectables- DC Essentials: Batman

A new Batman can only mean one thing: It’s time for a new DC figure line! I’m not even kidding, every new line of DC figures, be it McFarlane, DC Collectables or even Mattel has started with a Batman figure. Not that it’s really a bad thing given that Batman is DC’s golden child, but do they have to be so on the nose about it? I mean, there are literally hundreds of options on the DC hero bench; why not throw some love their way? Now I’m not asking for them to make Plastic Man front and centre, but how about branching out to other members of the Justice League like one of the Green Lanterns or Martian Manhunter? And while I don’t like making this comparison, maybe do what Marvel did and focus on the other characters to further prop up the characters that you do have. You think Iron Man was a big deal 13 years ago? Hardly. Yes, he was an important character, but not the titan that Marvel morphed him into nowadays. Same with Captain America, Black Panther and Thor; back then it was all Spiderman and Wolverine so with the right touch, it can be done. Unfortunately though I think DC has a few crutches and Batman continues to be a massive one.

Pros: Well DC Collectables has done a good job in rectifying some issues that were present throughout the much maligned (not be me) Icons line. First thing is first, these are still sculpted with a good amount of detail and features familiar looks for the characters that we all love. Secondly they fixed the scale issue and while I have not done a back to back, I believe that these would scale well with other six inch lines. Lastly, Batman has all the articulation that was first promised, and not delivered on the Icons line.

Cons: So they fixed problems (that I really didn’t need fixing), but created a few new ones including the rather limited accessory selection that makes you think they went a bit too far on the idea of Essentials. Seriously a Bat-A-Rang? That’s it? Also, I find some of the joints, especially the neck joint to be gummy and I’m not sure that it’s long for this world. Overall, Essentials is a fine figure, but not a worthy replacement for Icons.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #1038
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

632-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime Beast Hunters: Grimwing

I really feel that the Transformers Prime Beast Hunters series / toy line was a wasted opportunity to re-introduce our favorite Beast Wars characters back into a main line Transformers series. And while I’m not one hundred percent how well, in its current state, Beast Hunters was received, given that I did not watch, I have to imagine a little boast from nostalgia fuelled Transformers fans would have gone a long way. I mean, look what Kingdom did? That said, I shouldn’t be too hard on Prime Beast Hunters as it provided some really unique Beast based, Predicon figures that are really something else.

Pros: Grimwing has a very unique distinction of being what is coined as an Ursagryph. If you are confused don’t worry, I was too. Apparently it is a unique fused animal that was created by the designer of the character who combined traits of a Falcon and a Bear. Seriously, look it up; the only reference to this type of creature points to this character. Not that the figure needed to be any cooler, it has a great looking sculpt, a fun transformation and a well-articulated robot mode with lots of detail and personality. I even like the oversized weapon.

Cons: Only issue is that his chest cavity in robot mode doesn’t peg together well. It’s not a deal breaker, but still a frustration point for me.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #1039
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #1040
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

633-2
McFarlane- Fortnite: Peely

A quick interaction between my Wife, a very understanding woman and Me, a grown ass man:

Wife, a very understanding woman: “What’s with the Banana guy?”

Me, a grown ass man: “That’s Peely”

Wife, a very understanding woman: “Ok, why do you have a Banana guy?”

Me, a grown ass man: “He’s from Fortnite, he’s my favorite.”

Wife, a very understanding woman: “What’s Fortnite and why do they have Banana Guys?”

Me, a grown ass man: “I’m not sure, I don’t really like Fortnite; I only like Peely”

Wife, a very understanding woman: “The Banana guy”

Me, a grown ass man: “Yes, Peely, the Banana Guy”

Wife, a very understanding woman: “Ok, I’m going to bed”
-fin-

Pros: 10/10, certified fresh, 100% and 2 thumbs up. I love Peely. And I know you might be thinking that I’m just being stupid because the figure is so ridiculous, but he’s a legit a great figure. Solid sculpt, nice weapons and great pose-ability.

Cons: Stupid I know, but his Banana shape doesn’t allow for any neck movement so like Batman, he’s always looking forward.