ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #151
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight
Re: Star Wars Online/Pre Order Sightings Thread

“Supply and demand dictates what the stores can gouge for. If people pay it, just expect prices to keep rising.”

Exactly, we have all lost our minds and they know it. What’s the average age on here 45!? They know we can and will pay it. Nobody is going on vacation etc, disposable income has to go somewhere.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #152
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
“Supply and demand dictates what the stores can gouge for. If people pay it, just expect prices to keep rising.”

Exactly, we have all lost our minds and they know it. What’s the average age on here 45!? They know we can and will pay it. Nobody is going on vacation etc, disposable income has to go somewhere.
See: Consumer Protection Act...

There's one in every province.

Not to mention the fact - I'd like to point out that if you think you HAVE to buy something no matter the price...you should seek help. Seriously it's probably not a good thing.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #153
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
See: Consumer Protection Act...

There's one in every province.

Not to mention the fact - I'd like to point out that if you think you HAVE to buy something no matter the price...you should seek help. Seriously it's probably not a good thing.
I don’t think these are essential items so not sure that consumer protection act factors in.

The point is they can sell for a higher price so they will. There is more than sufficient demand for the desirable items. There are lots of adult collectors and they have clued in that this is a market they can milk.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #154
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
I don’t think these are essential items so not sure that consumer protection act factors in.

The point is they can sell for a higher price so they will. There is more than sufficient demand for the desirable items. There are lots of adult collectors and they have clued in that this is a market they can milk.
I believe it covers more than essential goods it's just a law that has been enforced more than usual due to the pandemic.

That being said it is in good faith that retailers aren't out to gouge.

These increases have absolutely nothing to do with retailers. It has everything to do with Hasbro etc. There are many reasons why prices increase, lots I have mentioned on this board. Price increases while unpopular will happen no matter what...this has nothing to do with greed or wanting to rip off the consumer.

Nobody likes increases but it's a fact of life.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #155
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SZXSSN5/...WT398PF6PYVSPY

34% off besbin chewie/c3p0
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #156
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Nobody likes increases but it's a fact of life.
My point to you and those that say "just accept it" is that people don't have to. They call this hobby plastic crack for a reason... it becomes very addictive to get your regular fix, and especially during a pandemic when folks are desperate for any kind of emotional cushion.

Some people haven't yet discovered that they don't have to get it no matter what cost. It has to be pointed out to them. It's how you break the addiction.

I know I haven't gotten that overpriced Mando and Baby Yoda set (both 4 and 6-inch versions) and I've finally just learned to let it go. Both were overpriced exclusives that should have been regular releases and widely available. I don't blame the retailers (although Walmart has always been a shit retailer for any desirable exclusive) and I do put the blame on Hasbro, they know they can gouge for things like that deluxe Boba Fett or any Mandolorian exclusive set. And they do it.

And some manufacturers deliberately create false scarcity in order to fuel consumer desperation to buy it no matter what. That happened with those idiotic figurines that plugged into the videogame systems (Disney Infinity, or its precursor, whose name I've forgotten).

We all need to draw a line somewhere about how much to spend and whether we're really getting value for what the company is charging.

SIGHTING: for some reason the hard to find 6-inch Gammorean Guard is available to buy again at a reasonable (but above old retail) price. I recall this going for up to $80 to $100 on the secondary market when it first came out. Is $54 a good price? Collectors can decide if they'll pay it:

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Blac...8SMRVR8S8EGPZ5
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #157
megathong
Cobra Trooper

To be clear Hasbro Canada raised prices and not retailers. The price has gone up across Canada for every store. Retailers are not gouging us.

There's no doubt operating costs have risen. Ocean cargo prices are at an all-time high. Maybe Hasbro Canada thinks Canadians are on a better foundation as opposed to our USA counterparts and can handle a price increase in today's world. Target has risen prices in some stores. Maybe Walmart USA increased orders to get a better discount to keep prices low. Many factors are possible.

However, paying $35+ for one repainted Star Wars Black or Marvel Legends figure is just foolish. I'm going to have to find another way or stop collecting.
megathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #158
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

“My point to you and those that say "just accept it" is that people don't have to. They call this hobby plastic crack for a reason... it becomes very addictive to get your regular fix, and especially during a pandemic when folks are desperate for any kind of emotional cushion.”

“However, paying $35+ for one repainted Star Wars Black or Marvel Legends figure is just foolish. I'm going to have to find another way or stop collecting.”

I have the solution, let’s sell actual crack and use the proceeds to support our collecting!
Old 03-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #159
megathong
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
I have the solution, let’s sell actual crack and use the proceeds to support our collecting!
megathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #160
heavyt93
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post
Thank you!!!
heavyt93 is offline   Reply With Quote