ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #241
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe
Re: Star Wars Online/Pre Order Sightings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangfest View Post
The retailer exclusives jumping up to $37.99 is absurd, especially considering the US MSRP hasn't changed from the $24.99 they've been at for some time AND the fact that exchange on that amount comes to $30 and change right now.

These minor retools/repaints are NOT worth north of $40 after tax. We're getting fleeced harder and harder on this stuff.
That's some weird math. $25 plus say NY tax of 8% multiplied by 30% (preferred rate with a specialty card might be closer to 27%) because we don't get the actual exchange rate is $35 by my math. And of you don't have an amerifriend and need to ship to a mailbox at the border there's those fees. Or you pay another method to ship it here...

I don't see how at that point buying here wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by sixshot1981; 05-05-2021 at 08:44 PM.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #242
Hangfest
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
That's some weird math. $25 plus say NY tax of 8% multiplied by 30% because we don't get the actual exchange rate is $35 by my math. And of you don't have an amerifriend and need to ship to a mailbox at the border there's those fees. Or you pay another method to ship it here...

I don't see how at that point buying here wouldn't make sense.
Might be weird math if I mentioned anywhere buying the item in the US as a Canadian consumer, but I did not.

I'm talking about base MSRP if you were buying here in Canada or as a someone buying in the US.

In the States these Gamestop/EB exclusives are $24.99, here they are now $37.99. That's a massive divide and unless you're in Alberta or up North, our higher tax rates are going to widen that gap even further.

Of course there are other factors at play, but it's still a huge disparity.

Also, unlike the standard releases, these exclusives did not see a US MSRP bump (19.99 --> 22.99) that equated to an increase up here (29.99 --> 32.99). The exclusives stayed at $24.99 and yet we've been hit with a $3 increase ($5, up to $39.99 in the case of those Best Buy EP 1 releases - $40 retail for a basic EP 1 Battle Droid... that's wild).

Ultimately, I'm just saying as Canadian consumers we are getting hit hard by these price points vs the US, which I suppose is nothing new, but it just sucks, and non-deluxe figures hitting near or at $40 before tax is brutal.
Hangfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #243
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Might be weird math if I mentioned anywhere buying the item in the US as a Canadian consumer, but I did not.

I'm talking about base MSRP if you were buying here in Canada or as a someone buying in the US.

In the States these Gamestop/EB exclusives are $24.99, here they are now $37.99. That's a massive divide and unless you're in Alberta or up North, our higher tax rates are going to widen that gap even further.

Of course there are other factors at play, but it's still a huge disparity.

Also, unlike the standard releases, these exclusives did not see a US MSRP bump (19.99 --> 22.99) that equated to an increase up here (29.99 --> 32.99). The exclusives stayed at $24.99 and yet we've been hit with a $3 increase ($5, up to $39.99 in the case of those Best Buy EP 1 releases - $40 retail for a basic EP 1 Battle Droid... that's wild).

Ultimately, I'm just saying as Canadian consumers we are getting hit hard by these price points vs the US, which I suppose is nothing new, but it just sucks, and non-deluxe figures hitting near or at $40 before tax is brutal.
Huge disparity for sure. But...cause I forgot to factor in general MSRP and was coming back here to mention that scenario too ...when they went ahead to produce those figures they probably have a exchange rate in their minds they stick to.

We also have a much smaller market and other variables that contribute to that gap in price. Same reason why basics or fresh food for example is crazy expensive in the Territories than say here.

Companies love to move the exchange rate in their favour when it suits them, but never really adjust it back again once the dollar slides it's way back down to parity. There's too much fluctuation otherwise.

I agree the prices suck. But generally in my experiences anyways even with the gap in price if you know when and where to buy you may not come out better all the time, but with sales, discounts etc you generally end up coming out better than Americans do.

Then again they may still yet see a bump down there anyways with the announced increases, i'm sure there is a reason why they didn't bump the exclusive prices yet in the USA and at the time it made sense to postpone that due to i'm sure many things we don't see or consider.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #244
Hangfest
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Huge disparity for sure. But...cause I forgot to factor in general MSRP and was coming back here to mention that scenario too ...when they went ahead to produce those figures they probably have a exchange rate in their minds they stick to.

We also have a much smaller market and other variables that contribute to that gap in price. Same reason why basics or fresh food for example is crazy expensive in the Territories than say here.

Companies love to move the exchange rate in their favour when it suits them, but never really adjust it back again once the dollar slides it's way back down to parity. There's too much fluctuation otherwise.

I agree the prices suck. But generally in my experiences anyways even with the gap in price if you know when and where to buy you may not come out better all the time, but with sales, discounts etc you generally end up coming out better than Americans do.

Then again they may still yet see a bump down there anyways with the announced increases, i'm sure there is a reason why they didn't bump the exclusive prices yet in the USA and at the time it made sense to postpone that due to i'm sure many things we don't see or consider.
I absolutely get that there are plenty of factors affecting the prices up here (smaller market, higher costs for logistics, etc) but it doesn't make these increases sting any less.

The exclusives being so much higher is also a bummer when in many cases they don't add much additional value in terms of what you're getting as a figure (not always the case, but frequently). The gaming greats releases for example are quite often very simple re-tools/re-paints of items we've gotten cheaper, or at non-exclusive price points. One of the worst recent offenders being that re-pack of the Rocket Trooper that just released. It has less paint apps than the prior release, and costs more money. Not that these re-uses don't happen in the mainline waves, they do all the time, but at least they land at the $5 cheaper price point. It becomes more annoying when we see nice figures like Cad Bane, Bo-Katan, Asajj, etc, at the standard MSRP. Makes stuff like the Rocket Trooper seem like a gouge.

I'm sure lots of people will be pleased with the two new Fallen Order figures, but I just don't see the value in them for what they are charging.

Back to my previous post, it does looks like the Gamestop pricing on the Night Brother and Flame Trooper did actually increase to $26.99 (the order links weren't up when I first commented), so I was wrong there. I was basing my initial comments on the fact that there was no increase on the Rocket Trooper in the US but it increased to $37.99 up here and I assumed it was the same for these two.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and my intent at the start of this wasn't to initiate a conversation on cost analysis for this stuff, but ultimately just to vent my frustration that these increasing price points are a total bummer to me and, I would imagine, a lot of other Canadian collectors. They are certainly going to make me much more selective when making future purchase decisions (which is probably a good thing anyway )
Hangfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #245
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Star-Wars-.../A4B9A824.html

deluxe boba in stock at tru
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #246
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
I absolutely get that there are plenty of factors affecting the prices up here (smaller market, higher costs for logistics, etc) but it doesn't make these increases sting any less.

The exclusives being so much higher is also a bummer when in many cases they don't add much additional value in terms of what you're getting as a figure (not always the case, but frequently). The gaming greats releases for example are quite often very simple re-tools/re-paints of items we've gotten cheaper, or at non-exclusive price points. One of the worst recent offenders being that re-pack of the Rocket Trooper that just released. It has less paint apps than the prior release, and costs more money. Not that these re-uses don't happen in the mainline waves, they do all the time, but at least they land at the $5 cheaper price point. It becomes more annoying when we see nice figures like Cad Bane, Bo-Katan, Asajj, etc, at the standard MSRP. Makes stuff like the Rocket Trooper seem like a gouge.

I'm sure lots of people will be pleased with the two new Fallen Order figures, but I just don't see the value in them for what they are charging.

Back to my previous post, it does looks like the Gamestop pricing on the Night Brother and Flame Trooper did actually increase to $26.99 (the order links weren't up when I first commented), so I was wrong there. I was basing my initial comments on the fact that there was no increase on the Rocket Trooper in the US but it increased to $37.99 up here and I assumed it was the same for these two.

Anyway, I'm rambling, and my intent at the start of this wasn't to initiate a conversation on cost analysis for this stuff, but ultimately just to vent my frustration that these increasing price points are a total bummer to me and, I would imagine, a lot of other Canadian collectors. They are certainly going to make me much more selective when making future purchase decisions (which is probably a good thing anyway )
No worries. Thanks for sharing !
Old 05-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #247
Wheelwave
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Thanks. I tried calling my pre-orders in to my store, but they're not up in their system yet.
He said it usually takes a day or 2 after they go up on the website. Will try again tomorrow.
Just checked and it can be preordered in stores now.

Star Wars Black Series Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary Darth Vader
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #248
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwave View Post
Just checked and it can be preordered in stores now.
Thanks, I'll call them first thing tomorrow!
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote