ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #781
Toradoch
Super Friend
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
472-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends- Marvel Studios: Skurge and Hela

Pros: Skurge: I really love this figure and not because I love Karl Urban (but is certainly doesn’t hurt); It’s just a well-crafted toy: the overall construction is fantastic, the sculpt is great, articulation useful and not hindered in anyways and the accessories, including his Axe and 2 M-16’s are perfect. Honestly one of the best figures that I have opened in a long time as it delivers exactly what I expected.
I picked up a couple of these on clearance just for Skurge. For a base for D&D customs, he is the perfect figure. The fact that 4 pieces of his armour are just pegged in and much of the rest are in areas that are easy to paint with little risk of joint rubbing...he's really a gem of a fig.
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #782
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toradoch View Post
I picked up a couple of these on clearance just for Skurge. For a base for D&D customs, he is the perfect figure. The fact that 4 pieces of his armour are just pegged in and much of the rest are in areas that are easy to paint with little risk of joint rubbing...he's really a gem of a fig.
I never really thought about him for D&D figures, but that makes a lot of sense. He’d be great for custom stuff.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #783
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

475-2
McFarlane Toys- Star Trek: Captain Jean Luc Picard.

Well Y’all I did it. I was able to secure every single figure in the MacFarlane Star Trek series. I mean, it wasn't super hard given that there were only 2 god damn releases, but I digress, a win is a win. And while I had some very high hopes for this line, I appreciate the figures that we got given their overall importance to the Star Trek fandom. I mean that is one of the biggest arguments between treekies: Who IS the best Captain: Kirk or Picard. Unfortunately you won’t get much debate from me as I am more of a Picard guy myself. I could chalk this up to my enjoyment of The Next Generation over the original series, but I truly think that Picard is a better captain as Kirk consistently just broke the rules and relied on his crew to get him out of trouble. That said, I do recognize that Picard is somewhat unapproachable and might do things a bit too by the book, but after all, we are talking about the best Captain, not potential best friend. I will say, despite the flak that this might get me, I did like Chris Pine’s portrayal of Captain Kirk in the JJ Abrams Star Trek films more than Shatner, but I guess that is an argument for another time.

Pros: Much like his only line mate, McFarlane did a great job with Jean Luc and is a must for any Star Trek fan. The face sculpt is fantastic, the body sculpt is detailed to the series, the articulation is suitable for the character and he has a number of character specific accessories including a TNG style phaser, a Flute and a separate “engage” hand.

Cons: Three issues, two minor and one major: 1. They molded lines into his tunic that are not present on the character costume and I’m not sure why they are there. 2. He’s a little light accessory wise as compared to Kirk and could have used a book or a data pad. 3. WHY DID THEY STOP AT 2!!! This line had a lot of potential and it was cancelled after only 2. You got to give it some time to grow Todd…

Old 12-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #784
DanM
Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
475-2
... but I truly think that Picard is a better captain as Kirk consistently just broke the rules and relied on his crew to get him out of trouble.
I too prefer Picard as a character (well I did, until that abortion of a program last year). But I would never say he was a better Captain than Kirk.
Different eras, different challenges, different requirements for an effective Captain. Also, Kirk's reputation as a rule breaker has been greatly exaggerated.

Regarding this figure, there's something about the eyes that totally ruin it for me. I don't know if it's the paint or the sculpt. I can't unsee whatever it is, and had to get rid of it. Traded it to a friend for an old DST version. Much happier now.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #785
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I too prefer Picard as a character (well I did, until that abortion of a program last year). But I would never say he was a better Captain than Kirk.
Different eras, different challenges, different requirements for an effective Captain. Also, Kirk's reputation as a rule breaker has been greatly exaggerated.

Regarding this figure, there's something about the eyes that totally ruin it for me. I don't know if it's the paint or the sculpt. I can't unsee whatever it is, and had to get rid of it. Traded it to a friend for an old DST version. Much happier now.
If I grew up with Kirk I’m sure he would have been my favourite, but I just can’t get into the original series. I will agree on the Picard show. I’ll say it’s a well produced show, but the story was forced and I REALLY hated some of the changes they went with to force narrative, especially when they killed Echab (sp?). I actually don’t mind the head sculpt, but I’m also admittedly less worried about that.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #786
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

476-2
Disney Toy Box- Marvel: Captain Marvel.

I wonder what is next for Captain Marvel? I suppose that is answered by the bigger question: What is next for the MCU? I mean, everything seems to just be on indefinite hold since the pandemic started with Black Widow and the Eternals being pushed back and seemingly very little action on the filming side of things, it could be a long time before we see what is next. I mean, I’m not saying that the MCU has run its course, but it has been an eternity, in pop culture times, since the world has seen something from the MCU. As for me, I’m not sure I want to see another solo Captain Marvel feature, but wouldn’t be against a team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy given their shared space backdrop.

Pros: Once again, Toybox hits it out of the park with another super fun Marvel figure. 2 great head sculpts, a nice detailed costume and her pet Cat “Goose” that has a great alien attachment that can be pleased on its mouth; FUN!

Cons: While the two heads are nice, I would have much preferred a blast energy effect. DOn;t get me wrong, the alternative head sculpts are cool, but 100% of the time they just end up in storage.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #787
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

477-2
Hasbro- Transformers Studio Series: Jetfire

There seems to be some revisionist history, of which I’m fine with, on Jetfire’s history in the War for Cybertron Netflix series and I’m wondering if the 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had anything to do with it. For those unaware, In the Generation 1 series, Skyfire (Jetfire) was introduced before the war as a Cybertronian scientist who was a close friend to Starscream, but had a falling out. After the events of the Civil War and subsequent reunion on Earth, Skyfire briefly joined Starscream as a Decepticon, but quickly changed sides when he learned that they were the bad guys. Compare that to Revenge of the Fallen when Jetfire was a known Decepticon that actively changed sides to the Autobots and it’s a way different narrative. It’s also notable that all the other versions of Jetfire never had this bend to his history, so it would seem that Revenge of the Fallen may have been the catalyst for the change which is crazy given how little good had actually come from that movie.

Pros: When I saw that Jetfire was getting Studio Series release I was super excited given that I unabashedly love the live action, movie-verse version of Jetfire, so it will be difficult to remain objective. I mean just look at it: The robot mode looks to be fairly accurate to the look in the movie with a great bearded face and old crotchety frame, has a decently complex transformation and a fantastic looking SR-71 Black Bird jet vehicle mode. I also appreciate that he comes with his cane, but also a huge axe. Extra points given that he literally can fall to pieces to form armoured parts for Optimus like as seen in the movies.

Cons: 2 things: I can’t seem to find an Optimus to achieve the armoured look and his robot head is very apparent in the undercarriage of the jet mode.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #788
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 12-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #789
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

You need the SS Voyager Prime (#32) or the SS Leader Jet Wing DOTM Prime (#44) to combine with this Jetfire. Those are the only 2 SS Primes that will work with him. Although I did see on YouTube someone combine (#5) SS Voyager Prime with this Jetfire but it does not look good at all.
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #790
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
You need the SS Voyager Prime (#32) or the SS Leader Jet Wing DOTM Prime (#44) to combine with this Jetfire. Those are the only 2 SS Primes that will work with him. Although I did see on YouTube someone combine (#5) SS Voyager Prime with this Jetfire but it does not look good at all.

I'm actually really pissed at myself as I passed on a #32 at Winners a few months ago. Not sure what I was thinking. I suppose it's not that big of a deal as I like Jetfire's robot mode and will keep him displayed as such.