ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #3391
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by abemecca View Post
Action figure collecting is not fun anymore. Just a hassle all around, between price increases, exclusives, repaints, lack of availability, niche releases and the crappiness of scalpers, Its become like a job trying to keep up with stuff and especially to find stuff. For example wwe figures are impossible to find or buy now.
Not all that fun anymore at all. It's really the availability that has killed it for me. Everything feels like it's limited, even if it isn't. You can't collect at your own pace anymore. There's too much urgency to buy what you want as soon as it comes available or else you might not get it again at retail and have to pay scalper prices. You don't have that freedom anymore of saying "I'll buy this figure later" it's only "I have to buy this figure now or I might not be able to later". It just makes thing more stressful than it has to be. As is running around chasing store exclusives of characters that should have had regular retail releases. What happened to exclusives only being repaints or variants?
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:41 PM   #3392
Enforcer
Dark Knight

For me collecting hasn't changed all that much. I'm lucky enough to be on a computer all day so the only real stress is convention exclusives.

I'm completist, and the only figure I've missed out on in the last few years is Fan Choice Silk. I'm sure it'll come back in stock - I hope.

I can understand the frustration of not being able to find a figure you have a casual interest in. To not be able to wait for a financially convenient time or for a figure you kinda wanted to go on sale sucks. For me its the opposite - I don't trust TRU to not be scalped hard so I get everything as soon as it's released. I've seen so many multi-packed drop $20-30 from when I bought it (and occasionally multiples like the Storm 2 pack, which is now both easy to find and always on sale).

For me the routine is have a place to order cases, and always pre-order exclusives (usually EB) as soon as they are listed. Last year was the year I stopped messing around with exclusives and pre-ordered as soon as they became available after the Rogue/Pyro ordeal.

Its not too bad to keep up with living in the burbs. There are 2 TRUs within 15 minutes, and ordering online is clutch. It can be annoying - but I rarely miss anything. For those who like to cherry pick - EB Games finally selling individual figures gives you a bit more freedom.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #3393
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

I used to enjoy the toy hunt, but with Covid and no toy shows it's very difficult to do that. This is why I have been preordering as much as possible as of 2020.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #3394
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like Marvel Legends have been losing steam lately? The hype that we had in the past for previous waves was awesome, but now it seems to be fading for all the current stuff. I dunno, what are your guys' thoughts?
Define lately? I thought the last half of 2020 was pretty good!

Lots of repaints and re-use to start this year though (House of X), and I don't like what I've seen from the leaked Eternals wave (possibly fake?) either.

Hopefully we'll get more 80s/90s themed figures announced soon. There should be another AoA wave coming, along with more Retro carded stuff.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #3395
Enforcer
Dark Knight

Eternals is the first wave I will be buying begrudgingly slash may actually skip altogether. First wave since Legends started in 2002. If the movie is Guardians level good I'll happily change my tune. But the figures are all very similarly bland.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #3396
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Eternals is the first wave I will be buying begrudgingly slash may actually skip altogether. First wave since Legends started in 2002. If the movie is Guardians level good I'll happily change my tune. But the figures are all very similarly bland.
No hype for the movie or the toy line here.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #3397
MC Culla
Cobra Trooper

Speaking of price increases, EB has the Maestro Deluxe (758779) for pre-order at $60!!!
MC Culla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #3398
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Culla View Post
Speaking of price increases, EB has the Maestro Deluxe (758779) for pre-order at $60!!!
Seems like there is some sort of MSRP mix-up. BBTS had him for 50USD initially, but changed it to $30 after a bit.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #3399
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Seems like there is some sort of MSRP mix-up. BBTS had him for 50USD initially, but changed it to $30 after a bit.
Here's hoping.

I'll wait to see what TRU, Walmart and Amazon price him at before worrying too much.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #3400
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Not all that fun anymore at all. It's really the availability that has killed it for me. Everything feels like it's limited, even if it isn't. You can't collect at your own pace anymore. There's too much urgency to buy what you want as soon as it comes available or else you might not get it again at retail and have to pay scalper prices. You don't have that freedom anymore of saying "I'll buy this figure later" it's only "I have to buy this figure now or I might not be able to later". It just makes thing more stressful than it has to be.
This. Too many exclusives for both ML and Star Wars. Transformers hasn't gotten as bad (but stuff like the Netflix line is starting to grind my gears since it's impossible to find the ones I want either online or in person).

Add a price increase to all 3 of these toylines, and I'm quickly losing interest. The quality isn't even that great either... so many paint issues with Earthrise Transformers figures, and that Storm & Thunderbird 2-pack has some of the most atrocious paint apps (for Storm) I've ever seen.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote