ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #901
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight
Re: G.I. Joe Classified Series 6 inch discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canukle View Post
I'm just hoping that we don't have the Movie and tie-in toy line bombing as "evidence" that no one wants GI Joes any more.

Would be really disappointed if they used that as an excuse to cancel Classified all together, to save some money
They have a history of doing this sort of thing. They are always trying to make GI Joe back into a large thing again with crappy movies and toys kids know are crappy. There is no need to do that. Just serve the existing collector base. Clearly there is a fortune in doing that. Kids nowadays don’t want crappy toys either. We chose GI Joe back then because they were articulated and high quality.

Last edited by Marvellegendsguy; 08-11-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #902
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

tldr: Hasbro is trying too much of the wrong things with GI Joe

The movie and movie toys both bombed and for sure Hasbro is taking a hit for making a crappy movie to sell toys. But a theatrical release, even without covid, was a mistake.

Hasbro is just screwing up by treating franchises like they are by the numbers cookie cutter things that will preform the same as Power Rangers, Star Wars, and Transformers.

Kids don't like GI Joe, there's nothing for the 5+ year old to really appreciate. No kid will really know who Snake Eyes is, just a ninja dressed in black. And parents don't want kids entertainment to be military/terrorist based. Making basic figures is really just asking an already established 35+ y.o. fan base to buy in to a whole new movie line that's out of scale with the 3.75" and now very popular 6" line.

I also don't see GI Joe surviving any kind of media outside of comics or 14+ y.o. animation movie/show. But writers/producers suck, seems like "Hollywood" is hell bent on changing things to the point of souring the established fan base in hopes of bringing in the next generation of fans except that doesn't work because those potentially new fans aren't kids with imaginations but cynical twitter twatters looking to make the next post and move on.

This is why Transformers (Power Rangers too) maintains a good fanbase as time passes, as is you got 20 somethings who collect and are nostalgic for Unicron Trilogy stuff and in 15 years from now you may have 20 somethings who collect and are nostalgic for Cyberverse stuff/designs.

Hasbro knocked it out the park with the Classified line and retro line in terms of having shelves cleared out. Sold out so fast that it became a nightmare to collect. Complaining about scarcity and exclusives is a whole other rant.

I think GI Joe is that IP that needs to have all it's eggs in as few baskets as possible while while placing the focus on production and smart case assortments while also aggressively marketing to the retailers that these will move so fast it's best to order lots. Maybe add some youtube stop motion GI Joe mini episodes to introduce new releases and fans will be happy. Viral marketing has never been as easy as it is now with all the fanboy sights out there reporting everything Hasbro.

And by smart case assortment I mean having army builders be an entire case in itself while named characters gets an even assortment of each per case. I honestly believe that no where in Canada will you find a red ninja/trooper/infantry/viper on any big box retail shelf but you do have a shot at other figures.

To date, Cobra Commander has been the only true shelf warmer, even CI Roadblock is starting to sell out everywhere and that was considered the shelf warmer at the start of 2021. And the retro line sells even faster than classified I think.

I can keep ranting but who can't these days, right?

Last edited by usernameprime; 08-11-2021 at 02:01 PM.
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #903
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post

The movie and movie toys both bombed and for sure Hasbro is taking a hit for making a crappy movie to sell toys. But a theatrical release, even without covid, was a mistake.

Hasbro is just screwing up by treating franchises like they are by the numbers cookie cutter things that will preform the same as Power Rangers, Star Wars, and Transformers.

Kids don't like GI Joe, there's nothing for the 5+ year old to really appreciate. No kid will really know who Snake Eyes is, just a ninja dressed in black. And parents don't want kids entertainment to be military/terrorist based. Making basic figures is really just asking an already established 35+ y.o. fan base to buy in to a whole new movie line that's out of scale with the 3.75" and now very popular 6" line.

I also don't see GI Joe surviving any kind of media outside of comics or 14+ y.o. animation movie/show. But writers/producers suck, seems like "Hollywood" is hell bent on changing things to the point of souring the established fan base in hopes of bringing in the next generation of fans except that doesn't work because those potentially new fans aren't kids with imaginations but cynical twitter twatters looking to make the next post and move on.

This is why Transformers (Power Rangers too) maintains a good fanbase as time passes, as is you got 20 somethings who collect and are nostalgic for Unicron Trilogy stuff and in 15 years from now you may have 20 somethings who collect and are nostalgic for Cyberverse stuff/designs.

Hasbro knocked it out the park with the Classified line and retro line in terms of having shelves cleared out. Sold out so fast that it became a nightmare to collect. Complaining about scarcity and exclusives is a whole other rant.

I think GI Joe is that IP that needs to have all it's eggs in as few baskets as possible while while placing the focus on production and smart case assortments while also aggressively marketing to the retailers that these will move so fast it's best to order lots. Maybe add some youtube stop motion GI Joe mini episodes to introduce new releases and fans will be happy. Viral marketing has never been as easy as it is now with all the fanboy sights out there reporting everything Hasbro.

And by smart case assortment I mean having army builders be an entire case in itself while named characters gets an even assortment of each per case. I honestly believe that no where in Canada will you find a red ninja/trooper/infantry/viper on any big box retail shelf but you do have a shot at other figures.

To date, Cobra Commander has been the only true shelf warmer, even CI Roadblock is starting to sell out everywhere and that was considered the shelf warmer at the start of 2021. And the retro line sells even faster than classified I think.

I wish you were in charge of the Gi Joe line.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #904
wesperino
Mutant

Quote:

Coco warms cuz there's 3 different versions of him with the general release being the least in demand. The regal would have been the smarter choice as a mass release.Most people picking up CI RB are getting to be the heavy duty stand in. Not sure why they even made him RB and not heavy duty.

I agree totally. I think the line will survive due to us 40+ somethings who are hooked on plasticrack.

I also agree that they should release a whole box of the army builders. The distribution is the shambles but it also works for the supply demand rules of capitalism.

Last edited by wesperino; 08-11-2021 at 02:39 PM.
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #905
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

How about an Assault on Cobra Island type multipack like they did previously.

A viper, a trooper, alley viper, night creeper, BAT, range viper and on other army builder. That’s a $200 pack. I will take 3!

Also a Dr. Venom and Kwinn two pack. Seriously I am 45, my wife won’t let me buy another sports car, I hate golf, this and working out are my hobbies. This is your market Hasbro!
Old 08-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #906
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

I would love to see the return of small play sets for both 3.75 and 6" collectors. These add so much to a toy for both play or display
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0ee8612045c4f02a377e06a9941f21ed.jpg (89.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 87ca0d40e9e0790690da1ff40e3f96b6.jpg (90.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 689bf758a900fce87f7e153f701f2c3e.jpg (56.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg GiJoe-tower.jpg (102.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg lot-vintage-gi-joe-small-playsets_1_03bd4042c43dc9ab989fa39ac952b538.jpg (91.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (20.2 KB, 4 views)
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #907
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

I think they need to try something new with GI Joe. Yes we ARAH fans have been the backbone of the brand for the last 40 years, but eventually we will be gone. Real life circumstances forced Hasbro to change GI Joe from a 12" doll to a 3.75" team line. Now we are in a new world again where the real world may force Hasbro's hand again. Do they go back to small scale when 6" is obviously the preferred size currently?

As usernameprime said, parents are a big hurdle for the brand. I remember clearly watching a mom in Zellers (yes back then) telling her young son that GI JOE is a "war toy" that isn't appropriate. (I proceeded to pick up a movie RHINO on sale after that). So I think Hasbro might be better off leaning into the military side of the brand when it comes to media.

Still work on cartoons for younger demos, but change it up from the current large scale team idea and make it smaller somehow. For older demos skip the theatrical releases and instead go for a real life streaming limited series, ala the upcoming Halo series. Then really dive into the ARAH mythos and spend the money to make it something to see. That way you get to bring in favourite characters, vehicles, etc. Then include your near future tech, and big battles. Make it a premium experience that people will want to watch again, and again for multiple seasons. (Game of Thrones!!) You can do multiple locations (desert, snow, jungle, urban). Make it more serious, with consequences (death) of characters.

If they don't want to do that, and stick with movies, then just give up already and give the franchise over to Michael Bay and let him make a movie. For all the shit he threw on the TF franchise, he knows how to make military movies with big action that make money. Let him do his thing and I'm sure you'll get a financial hit, and he probably wouldn't have any problem with pushing the RAH-RAH USA!!! angle as well.

As for the toys. I don't know if it is just the turnover at Hasbro, but Classified seems to be falling into the same pattern as 25th/ME. Hasbro does a little bit to get the brand back on shelves, and them WHAM!!!! It takes off and they get years of good sales, and the line goes really deep. Same thing seems to be happening again, although this time it doesn't seem like Hasbro is handling it as well. I mean where is the information about upcoming product? We don't have any news on anything past BBQ/Breaker, and the movie stuff we have already seen. I understand the pandemic has made getting product to shelves difficult, but how about actual upcoming product reveals to keep the brand in the ether of general collectors minds? ML, SW, TF, PR all have waves of product teased/revealed until the end of the year, and beyond. Yet we don't have anything that isn't already preordered, released, or just hitting now.

The Yo Joe June was a bust, and we get vague promises that product is coming. C'mon.

As for my personal preference. Hey Hasbro, how about some nice and easy deluxe style releases. Maybe a Joe with extra accessories (Jet Pack, Jump Pad, etc) and a Cobra with a CLAW? You could do probably get away with a re-release figure for the deluxe price point, just make it different enough. The selling point would be the accessories, and my suggestions would be mostly minimal, or even single, mold tooling to make the extras. Definitely you could do the trooper mold with a flight suit helmet/head, ala the retro FANG trooper.

Oh and get me my damn Crimson Guard already!!! ;

Last edited by canprime; 08-11-2021 at 03:36 PM.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #908
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
I would love to see the return of small play sets for both 3.75 and 6" collectors. These add so much to a toy for both play or display

Seconded!

and Thirded!

and Fourthed!!

you get it.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #909
CobraCommander
Jedi Knight

I'm hoping for a Haslab Rattler

B/S/T Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Hisstank
Cybertron.ca

Feedback Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #910
Mudflap
Clonetrooper

I almost bought the cheaper Baroness since I'm a huge Baroness fan, but the figure is pretty nondescript and could be anyone. Since they're not based on the actual movie costume anyway, they should have put a cobra symbol on her chest. I did buy the 6 inch Classified movie Baroness though, even though it's not her classic look.
Mudflap is offline   Reply With Quote