ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: $32.99 new price for Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
In my opinion, nothing in the deluxe scale in any of Hasbro's lines have been worth $29.99, and here we go, paying $33 for the same figures.
Overall here’s my breakdown of value:
1. Transformers Deluxe: $30 is steep given what they used to cost, but given the engineering and new mold parts, the price tag seems reasonable
2. Gi Joe Classified: lots of new moulded pieces, superior articulation to the other lines and a good amount of accessories, price tag is reasonable.
3. Black Series: initially had unique moulds, soft goods and good articulation, but lately has reused parts, mostly eliminated soft goods (expect the new Jedi trio) and articulation issues like single pivot elbows. $30 is difficult to swallow and $32 is even worse considering they started out at $20.
4. Marvel Legends: On the whole MLs have been great, but are stating to slide. The mould reuse is becoming apparent and the lack of suitable articulation on the females is annoying. The saving grace for the line has been the BAF piece, but noticeably absent on the classic line and the Movie figures. Overall my days as a ML collector are numbered.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Honestly I think more and more about how much retail is for 6", and look at what you get for double that from other manufacturers (Figarts, Mezco, etc).

It is slowly getting too close to being a hard choice.

Also it doesn't help that the majority of figures don't hold their value, so why spend this much upfront when waiting can get you a good discount. (I know, I know, FOMO)

I also find more value from higher end purchases now than regular retail.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

The price hikes from the last few years have already made me far more selective on what I buy. I used to be a massive Transformers collector, but the $10 price jump for their Deluxe figures ($30 up from $20) cut what I buy extensively. I feel like $32.99 is starting to push beyond what any 6 inch action figure is worth, so I’ll probably start cutting back on those lines as well. I’m not at the point of NOPE, NO MORE yet, but it is starting to get very close.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #14
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Honestly I think more and more about how much retail is for 6", and look at what you get for double that from other manufacturers (Figarts, Mezco, etc).

It is slowly getting too close to being a hard choice.

Also it doesn't help that the majority of figures don't hold their value, so why spend this much upfront when waiting can get you a good discount. (I know, I know, FOMO)

I also find more value from higher end purchases now than regular retail.
Double the cost? If you find an unpopular Figuart on clearance, you'll pay double the cost of a Hasbro. I think the price creep on imports is outpacing domestic's. $100+ for the new Figuarts' Endgame stuff. I've seen the new Wonder Woman go as low as $80, which is 4x the cost of the McFarlane's sale price.

I get your mindset though. It used to be a no-brainer to spend $40 on a figuart instead of $20 on a Hasbo\Mattel. But the quality gap has shrunk, while the price gap has increased.

Won't argue about domestic figures not holding value either. Nowadays, whenever something becomes rare and expensive, a new and improve version gets announced. Their worth is very volatile compared to imports which mostly rise in value as soon as they're released.

Last edited by ghostlurk29; 12-30-2020 at 07:44 PM.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #15
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

For 2021, I think most of my future action figure spending will go towards Mcfarlane. The latest molds have been very detailed for the reasonable price of $25. Can't say much about articulation or poseablility as I mostly am an inbox collector nowadays but still for $25 your getting a lot more than most other lines.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
Gphalen
Reviewer of Stuffs
Re: $32.99 new price for Hasbro Action Figures

32.99 was the price point given months ago, part of the reason my entire black series Collection is now selling. and selling good. at 29.99 per figure it was over priced what next? We are currently paying 6 inch prices in 2015 for 3.75 scale figures 1200 for a barge no ty 800 for a ship now destroyed no ty. pricing at 300 for a BMF was out of control that had light and Sound So long wasting money on low end collectibles
Gphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #17
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
For 2021, I think most of my future action figure spending will go towards Mcfarlane. The latest molds have been very detailed for the reasonable price of $25. Can't say much about articulation or poseablility as I mostly am an inbox collector nowadays but still for $25 your getting a lot more than most other lines.
Agreed. McFarlane has really raised the bar for the market (again) offering great figures for a reasonable price.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #18
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Double the cost? If you find an unpopular Figuart on clearance, you'll pay double the cost of a Hasbro. I think the price creep on imports is outpacing domestic's. $100+ for the new Figuarts' Endgame stuff. I've seen the new Wonder Woman go as low as $80, which is 4x the cost of the McFarlane's sale price.

I get your mindset though. It used to be a no-brainer to spend $40 on a figuart instead of $20 on a Hasbo\Mattel. But the quality gap has shrunk, while the price gap has increased.

Won't argue about domestic figures not holding value either. Nowadays, whenever something becomes rare and expensive, a new and improve version gets announced. Their worth is very volatile compared to imports which mostly rise in value as soon as they're released.

Yeah I was a bit off on my numbers there, but you got my point.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #19
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Agreed. McFarlane has really raised the bar for the market (again) offering great figures for a reasonable price.

My only concern with McFarlane is what just happened on Amazon. They bumped up the price on the BAF figures ($33.99-$34.99).

I'm worried that the regular figures are next (up to $29.99?). Granted, so far it is just Amazon, but could Walmart be far behind?
Old 12-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #20
Onslaught
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
My only concern with McFarlane is what just happened on Amazon. They bumped up the price on the BAF figures ($33.99-$34.99).

I'm worried that the regular figures are next (up to $29.99?). Granted, so far it is just Amazon, but could Walmart be far behind?
The non-BAF single figures are actually listed at $30.99 on there (at least some, like Flash, Flashpoint Batman, while some haven't got price hiked yet, like Red Hood and Doomicorn). Amazon's always been all over the place with prices, like the variant MK Spawn around 38 when the rest are at the regular prices.

Hopefully if Walmart and TRU stay at their prices Amazon will bring theirs back down too. It's weird how much price variance there is right now.
Onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote