ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #951
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #952
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

571-2
McFarlane Toys- Fortnite: Raptor

Hahaha! Well it turns out that I’m an idiot for not realizing that Raptor is basically a repainted version of the Firefly homage, Havoc. Make sense given that these toys are all based on minor re-skins from a video game and to their credit Raptor looks different enough with a moulded headset on his head sculpt and some added grenades, but it’s still funny that I didn’t even realize it until I sat down to write this review, which is incidentally well after I have opened him AND took pictures of him. And while Havoc was my first official Fortnite purchase, is it bad that I think Raptor is a better figure?

Pros: An impressive re-tool of Havoc, Raptor has a lot in common with a certain Cobra saboteur, with a few upgrades including a moulded headset and some belt grenades. Articulation is McFarlane standard and allows for some decent poses. Accessories include the unique pick-axe, this time shaped like a shovel, a campers type backpack and a really amazing TOMMY Gun style machine gun. I know that Joe fans rip on these Fortnite figures for how silly they are, but I have to give them props for the realistic weapons.

Cons: I’m still a little cheesed that Raptor is basically a colourful version of Havoc and I wish that maybe the makers of Fortnite went another way with the character and made him a homage to another balaclava’d character, Beachhead.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #953
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

572-2
Disney Toy Box- Disney Classics: Peter Pan

Peter Pan, at least Disney the Disney version, has become very problematic and for due reason. I’ll go into it in more detail when I eventually review the film, but it’s surprising to me that people tend to overlook the blatant issues in favor of calling out other films/media for pretty well the same issues. In fact, if you pull Peter Pan up on Disney Plus right now there is no “Images were a product of their time” warning (****EDIT**** There is a disclaimer, it's just not part of the film) that was included before some other Disney Plus movie and yet there is still an entire sequence / musical number literally called “What Makes the Red Man Red?” What the serious fuck Disney? I realize that the film is a genuine classic in some folk’s eyes and I’m not suggesting editing the art, but we should call it out for what it is.

Pros: I’m not a huge fan of Peter Pan as I think he’s a bit of a douchebag. That said this figure is pretty fun. A nice sculpt in the Infinity style, a good amount of articulation (including ankle tilts) and TWO accessories including the smallest dagger I’ve ever seen, sheath for said dagger and a PAN flute. Yes that is right, the PAN flute is what Peter Pan is named after. Not sure why that never dawned on me.

Cons: Outside of him having a bit of a creepy head sculpt, there’s nothing really bad about this toy; it’s a solid release.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #954
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

573-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: IG-88

So the Mandalorian series has done a lot of things right and some things wrong, but one of the best things was the characterization of an IG robot, almost exactly like IG-88, IG-11. I suppose that means that 11 came before 88 off the assembly line, but as the series takes place after Return of the Jedi it’s not clear if 88 is still alive, or why it wasn’t actually IG-88 in the first place. Regardless of all that, it was AMAZING to see the functionality of the assassin droid in action and I’m sure even the prop designer for Empire Strikes back, who quite literally glued some junk parts together, was surprised how truly efficient this machine really was.

Pros: From the moment I saw IG-88 in The Empire Strikes Back I was very intrigued at the rogues gallery of bounty hunters that were hired by Vader to track down the Millennium Falcon, but somewhat disappointed that only one got the bulk of the screen time. Given what I know about film effects at the time, I understand why IG-88 was more of a lifeless prop, but was still very intrigued. This Black Series figure is likely the most detailed representation of the ‘blink and you miss it’ design that was featured in the movie and overall looks great. The articulation is somewhat limited, but likely matches the rather limited movement of the droid itself. Accessory wise he comes with two blasters that can be attached to his hand/wrist with a peg and a cleaver that fits into a shoulder strap, back bandoleer.

Cons: I’m not sure how or why, but on my version, one leg seems to be longer than the other which makes it decidedly difficult to stand up. Also, and while I understand the design of the droid may prohibit this, a greater range of motion on the hips would really make a lot more sense.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #955
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

574-2
Hasbro: Marvel Legends- Drax

I think of the entire cast of GOTG, Dave Bautista who plays Drax, is the clear most surprising. Not because I think a wrestler is a poor choice of actor, as they are actually really phenomenal actors for the most part, but because the character itself could have been played so flat and uninteresting. And while I know that some people dislike the silly/comedic bend of the characterization, I actually really like it. I distinctly recall cry laughing during the scene in the Vol 1 where they were escaping the prison, mostly due to Drax’s lines and a lot of that similar aloof comedy carried through to Vol 2 and Infinity War. They only really lost me at his constant, uncontrolled laughter throughout, but it was hardly a deal breaker for me. Not sure what is next in store for Drax and the gang, but I’m glad that James Gunn is back directing.

Pros: I assume that this is a re-tooled, re-painted body from the initial GOTG wave which is fine as a) A lot of people probably passed on the initial release and b) it’s really fricking nice. He comes with his two daggers that have storage on his boots, and pretty great looking bazooka and a fantastically sculpted screaming head sculpt.

Cons: As someone who likes to take pictures of figures in multiple poses, being limited to one expressive head sculpt is a bit frustrating. That said these ultimately get put on a shelf in an action pose so it’s really not that big of a deal.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #956
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

575-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Bulkhead.

I’m starting to realize why I had a falling out with Transformers collecting and for the most part, it wasn’t Hasbro’s fault. No, it was my collecting habits and not knowing where to draw that line and apparently that line is between deluxe and basic figures. In my defence, historical Transformer lines had much more distinct characters that spanned all size classes, but it seemed as though the Prime toyline took the same 8 characters and produced them in all different size classes. It kind of makes sense as not everyone can afford a Voyager or leader class figure and instead could pick up the more affordable basic toye figure, but it all but eliminates the cool little unique figures, like Bumblebee and Rattrap that used to make up the Basic size class. Overall it looks like they have found a bit of a happy medium in current lines with unique figures like Rattrap, but also including smaller versions of the other, pricier characters, that I have learned to pass on.

Pros: Overall Bulkhead is decent for what he is: a fun little figure with a relatively well articulated robot mode that matches the cartoon model, a simple yet fun transformation and an enjoyable vehicle mode that works fairly well. I’m also impressed that they included a little clear accessory/weapon that fits both into his hand and on his vehicle mode.

Cons: Overall nothing; it’s a great little figure at a great price point.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #957
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #958
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

576-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Professor Xavier.

v

When they announced the Marvel Legends rider’s line, I’m not sure that I would have ever anticipated the RIDE in question to be a wheelchair, or rather a floating, bright yellow space chair, yet here we are.

Pros: As a fan of the 90’s X-Man cartoon Prof X this was a no brainer purchase for me and overall I’m pretty pleased with the figure in hand. And while the base body is the overused “suit” mould that has been released multiple times already, it actually works given that it’s the look that he was known for and the legs aren’t all that important. As with the other riders, the vehicle is where the set shines as it really looks like it came right out of the cartoon series. Some highlights include the two hidden arm panels, a blanket/leg cover and a propulsion effect that acts as a stand. Lastly the set comes with a Cerebro helmet, some mind control effects and a random Marvel Legends head that I think belongs to Kingpin, but not 100%.

Cons: Outside of using this same body and mould over and over and over, I really have no issues with the set and am happy to have him in my collection to lead the X-Men.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #959
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 05-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #960
Robimus
Super Moderator

Gotta love a Shiner

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote