ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 02-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #4861
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

If you would like to discuss the TRU price increase further, please do it in its own dedicated thread:

http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/board...ad.php?t=39504

Last edited by philtastic; 02-03-2022 at 08:13 PM.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #4862
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
@canprime while I feel all of us are barely scratching the surface and are speculating at best, only TRU is aware of the truth...I'd like to think there's some logical explanation why this is happening and it is much more than inflation and we know that.

Also I mean come on...anytime there's a price increase on anything at any store ever point to me a company any company that takes their stock and separates it to 2 separate piles pre and post price hike ??? how is any of that shady ??? If home Depot raised prices on a specific snowblower tomorrow and they had 2 in stock before and received 2 more identical models after the hike are they gonna price them different ? That's irrational.

Believe me if they turn around and jack up prices again in March...I'm sure this site will explode and I will look very wrong lol but again there's plenty of known factors at play here and only time will tell

I see where you are coming from, but I lean more towards springwolf84's line of thought.

Plus if you take the snowblower example, I see it more like Home Depot is told that next season the snowblowers will be 10% higher MSRP. So they decide that the current year snowblowers will be raised 15% right now. They already have the stock in store, paid for it, but increased the price, beyond the future MSRP. Meanwhile Lowe's and your local hardware store are standing pat, but say you will see the 10% increase next season.

As you say, all speculation on our part, and Walmart et. al could be increasing the price to the same level as TRU and then it will be a moot point.

And of course the long and short of it is that no amount of complaining on a board will change the reality of the price increases. I just know that unfortunately TRU is now probably going to be the last place I look for toys, and I'll have to suck it up for exclusives from time to time.
canprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #4863
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by springwolf84 View Post
But that?s the thing, the MSRP is meant for new items released after the increase takes effect. In the case of Legends, the product on the shelves isn?t the same snowblower that has continual new stock coming in, they?re different models of snowblower altogether. So old stock wouldn?t necessarily go up if a new item comes in. In most retailers the old outdated stock goes to clearance.

Toys R Us is trying something new here that?s very different than how most retailers do things.

And I think it?s shitty and I won?t support them in it.
It seems that it's most things in the store that have gone up in price. The funny thing is, this probably won't make them more money. Parent, collector's, etc. are going to pick up an item, see the price, put it back down and drive down to Walmart to buy it. This was not a great idea by TRU to implement now when no one else followed suit.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 02-03-2022 at 09:56 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #4864
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
It seems that it's most things in the store that have gone up in price. The funny thing is, this probably won't make them more money. Parent, collector's, etc. are going to pick up an item, see the price, put it back down and drive down to Walmart to buy it. This was not a great idea by TRU to implement now when no one else followed suit.
They also bumped their Lego prices up, higher than what Lego is still charging on their own site.
Typically Lego has always been the same (regular) price across the board, no matter where sold.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:27 PM   #4865
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Not sure why people would think that big corporations would be against raising their prices using increased manufacturing and shipping costs due to covid as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, the price increases for manufacturing and distribution is a very real thing, but I don't believe it's hurting these HUGE billion dollar companies as much as they make it out to be and they are likely pocketing most of extra money they're making off the price increases rather than it going to expenses like they want you to believe.

On Another note I wouldn't mind picking up that Iron Heart on Clearance for $15-20 but at $25, strong pass.. I think it's a cool looking figure and would go well with my 80th Iron Man and Deluxe War Machine but I'm not enough of a fan of the character to pay more than $20.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 02-04-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:39 AM   #4866
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
The figures from the Spider-man Armadillo wave are $42.99 each. We know prices generally go up but TRU is taking that to whole new greedy level.
Those are available at TRU? Never saw them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Walmart.ca has it's Marvel Legends on sale for $25 each.
Then let's take advantage of this single SKU business. Buy the $42 figure at TRU and then make a return using the 25$ figure bought at Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesperino View Post
Their prices are higher to offset the startup costs of all the new location across the US?
No, the TRU brand is independently owned in different parts of the world. This was to help the main US brand recoup some money as it fell into bankruptcy. The current owner of the wholly independent Canadian brand is the same owner as Sunrise. There is 0 affiliation with any TRU outside Canada.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #4867
wesperino
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Those are available at TRU? Never saw them.

Then let's take advantage of this single SKU business. Buy the $42 figure at TRU and then make a return using the 25$ figure bought at Walmart.

No, the TRU brand is independently owned in different parts of the world. This was to help the main US brand recoup some money as it fell into bankruptcy. The current owner of the wholly independent Canadian brand is the same owner as Sunrise. There is 0 affiliation with any TRU outside Canada.
TRU got the armadillo wave but I suspect the spider man figures were sourced quickly.

There is still a shriek and morlun at south Barrie TRU for an obscene price.

Only time I saw the spider figures from this wave were at GS stores
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #4868
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
TRU got the armadillo wave but I suspect the spider man figures were sourced quickly.

Alright, thanks (and yeah, I did see Morlun, didn't realize it was the Spidey wave without seeing spideys).
You know, Spider-man being their most popular character and these toys being for the biggest spidey film of all time, Hasbro should have definitely made more.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #4869
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:

I guess that would explain why the Gamerverse Miles Morales Spider-Man is so hard to find from the Armadillo wave?
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #4870
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

If TRU is paying $300 per case of ML, they are doing something very wrong.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote