ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Prometheus(Alien Prequel)

So I just found out tonight that Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott, is actually a Prequel to Alien! My interest in the film just picked up

Apparently Ridley Scott has gone very old school for this film. It promises to be a film with a ton of visual effects but no CGI, all model work and the like just like the first Alien films were.

You can check out the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Prometheus(Alien Prequel)

I don't know if anyone ever said it was a prequel. I think it started out as one, then took on a life of it's own, but I think it's definitely a prequel. No Xenomorphs from what I could see, but there are "creatures" and you still see the ship and the space jockey from the 1st Alien movie.

Regardless, this looks phenomenal. I would like to see Ridley do a full on Alien movie with xenomorphs, mostly because I think only he can return that alien back to form and make it scary again. The Alien vs Predator movies totally neutered that beast.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Hantei
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I don't know if anyone ever said it was a prequel. I think it started out as one, then took on a life of it's own, but I think it's definitely a prequel.
That's what I've read as well. It certainly looks to be in the same universe as Weyland Industry exists, along with the space Jockey, and crashed ship from Alien. Haha, it'll be cool if they do an easter egg/after credit scene tying the two movies.

Can't wait to see this! Dare I say that I'm more excited for this than either The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises?

Really like this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
pud333
Master of the Universe

I'd agree on the excitement part. I am way more pumped for this than any other movies coming out. Ridley Scott does his best work in the sci-fi genre. His historical pieces are just okay. But sci-fi is where it's at.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Oddly enough, all I've heard was that this is a prequel. I don't think there was any point where anyone suggested it wasn't one (at least not on AicN). Indeed, if you watch the official trailers closely, it's pretty clear that the space jockey's ship falls and crashes during what I assume is the climax of Prometheus and seems to end up in the same position that we first see it in ALIEN.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
Zone55555
Clonetrooper

They've been openly denying it's a prequel for a long time. Mostly, it seems, to try to play up the idea that it's its own story which could be considered separate from what the franchise became out of Ridley's hands.

Nevertheless those protestations are shown to be pure theatre by the details of the trailers. I don't know why they bother, people are going to see it regardless and a tie to Alien can only crank that expectation up higher.

It looks awesome, I'll be there the first showing possible.
Zone55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Oddly enough, all I've heard was that this is a prequel. I don't think there was any point where anyone suggested it wasn't one (at least not on AicN). Indeed, if you watch the official trailers closely, it's pretty clear that the space jockey's ship falls and crashes during what I assume is the climax of Prometheus and seems to end up in the same position that we first see it in ALIEN.
See I never heard it was a prequel, but I admit I had very little interest in it when I figured it was just another Sci-Fi flick. I'm definitly going to watch it based on the Alien tie ins, where before I probably never would have.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Hantei
Master of the Universe

I think what was meant was that it wasn't a direct prequel to Alien as it doesn't involve the aliens from that franchise. That's what I've read.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
Robimus
Super Moderator

Yes, not the same aliens. Thats what I've been reading as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantei View Post
I think what was meant was that it wasn't a direct prequel to Alien as it doesn't involve the aliens from that franchise. That's what I've read.
Yes. Most sites had it as a prequel, but not a prequel. As far as what I read. There was some confusion for a while, but in the end, I think everyone knows it's a prequel with no aliens. That said, I wouldn't put it past Ridley and crew to include Aliens as a surprise despite saying for months there are none in the film.

From the trailer, you can see some creature that looks like it has limbs strangely similar to the face hugger. So maybe we get those, or a predecessor to the face huggers. I'm guessing space jockeys play a pretty big role in this film - more than just the one that ends up in the Alien film.

Regardless, I am excited for this film.

Also, might I add this film looks beautiful. The art direction looks amazing. Sci-fi films don't get enough credit for the beautiful art and worlds they create. IMO, creating costumes and sets, etc. for sci-fi or fantasy is much more impressive than, oh, a victorian era period piece. That's amazing in its own right, and I know I am biased, but some sci-fi films really take it to another level, and this looks like another big hit in that regard.

Last edited by pud333; 03-21-2012 at 11:55 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote